Last-Minute Kids’ Owl Costume
Still looking for a Halloween costume for your kiddo? Here’s an easy way to turn a t-shirt into an owl costume in a couple of hours without any sewing involved.
By Ellen Baker
Still looking for a Halloween costume for your kiddo? Here’s an easy way to turn a t-shirt into an owl costume in a couple of hours. If you don’t have a sewing machine, you can simply glue the fabric feathers onto the costume with permanent fabric glue found at your local sewing shop or craft supply store. You can cut up old t-shirts or other old clothing for the feathers. So just cut and glue. Easy, right? I think this would also work pretty well for a wild thing costume.
-dark colored tee
-fabric scraps (50-60 feathers)
-thread and sewing machine (or permanent fabric glue)
1. Cut out the feathers from fabric scraps using the template below.
2. Begin pinning and sewing in rows from the bottom (or just line them up and glue).
3. Continue until you reach the top and then form a circle around the neckline.
4. Print out the owl mask and cut it out. With a craft knife, cut out the center eye holes.
5. Attach the mask to the sunglasses with tape. Hoot!
Click here to download the template for mask and feathers: Download file
Have a little one who gets a little scared during Halloween? Written by Alpha Mom’s longtime contributor and advice columnist, Amalah, “Everybody Gets Scared” helps children brave their fears and understand their feelings. This beautifully illustrated book explains that fear is a normal emotion and helps children understand it’s OK if they don’t feel brave all the time. It gives suggestions for how to cope when they get scared and words to express their feelings. Create your own fun and enchanting personal story that addresses your child’s specific needs. Find the book here.