The 5-Minute Maintenance Plan for New Moms
I’ve talked to so many new moms who feel guilty that they’re taking even five minutes to spend on themselves and not their babies. But to feel your best, it’s important to give yourself at least five minutes to treat your body and your skin properly, whether you’re raising one child or an army.
The goal is to maximize what products you use and how to apply them. Think multi-functional — cosmetics that hydrate while protecting your skin from the sun; nutrient-packed lip products; colors that can be used on skin or eyes.
Don’t Skip These Five Steps
1. You must moisturize. For daytime, use a moisturizer with an SPF of at least 25. This is by far your most important step of the day!
2. Since very few new moms get enough sleep, concealer is a must. A concealing eye treatment allows you to hide under-eye circles while treating the area to a mini-makeover with vitamins, minerals, proteins, and antioxidants.
3. Brighten your eyes. Do it instantly with a couple of swipes of mascara. Use a non-waterproof formula for easier removal.
4. Get the sun-kissed look with bronzers. A little goes a long way. Apply to areas where the sun would naturally hit your skin — the apples of your cheeks, around the edges of your forehead, a touch on the nose, and a touch on the chin.
5. Your lips also need hydration and attention. Try glosses with nutrients inside to moisturize while adding shine, and maybe some delicious flavor, too.
Today’s Moms: Essentials for Surviving Baby’s First Year is authored by two Today Show producers, Mary Ann Zoellner & Alicia Ybarbo.
Published April 5, 2009. Last updated May 15, 2018.