Babyproofing Your Home
This post is sponsored by Huggies
After a long adventurous summer, we have finally just moved into our new home. The kids have been running through our new house exploring all the nooks and crannies. Matt has his toolbox ready to fix up this and touch up that, but between the painting, the cleaning and the unpacking one thing has stayed at the front of my mind… babyproofing our family’s new sanctuary.
My son, Thomas, is not technically a baby anymore (although aren’t they always our babies?); he’s two and the world is his to explore. His self-guided tours through his days are chock full of ah-ha moments, radical discoveries, bumps, bruises and lost items. He is so much more mobile than he was even two months ago. From the moment he wakes until he drifts off to a slumber, Thomas does not stop and is always on the go… trying to climb everything in sight and it’s a delicate balancing act between giving him some independence to explore and safety. But where I have great peace of mind is with the new Huggies Little Movers Plus Diapers — available only at Costco — which is their best diaper yet and a great value (they’re on sale right now, too – see below for more details). These diapers keep Thomas dry with their extra absorbency and the Double Grip Strips keeps him comfy as he moves about with his shenanigans.
Last night, when the house seemed particularly quiet for too long, I found him giving his cars a bath in the toilet (more on that below). Or, how about the time we were at a hotel and I caught him before he was about to stick one of his choo-choos into the light socket because its battery had run out. Oh, two years olds!
Our new-to-us house is one big adventure zone for this little 2-year-old of mine and as I mentioned earlier, babyproofing is at the top of my current to-do list. Here are my five top tips for babyproofing your home.
- Always cover up the electrical outlets. Kids will find any reason to stick things into these tiny slots and most electrical outlets are exactly at their eye level. What is out of sight for us is irresistible for them.
- Batten down the commode! Our plumber is on speed dial due to the number of crayons, cars, choo-choos and other U.F.O’s (unidentified flushed objects) we’ve flushed down.
- Secure your kitchen AND bathroom cabinets. Often bathroom cabinets house our household cleaning products and things that are just not good for humans, especially little humans, to ingest.
- Babyproof your doorknobs. Opening doors is a lot of fun. Closing doors and having your little one locked in on the other side is not fun.
- It may not work with your already existing Pinterest-able home décor, but corner guards are helpful in preventing head bumps on table corners. At 30 inches tall, Thomas’ forehead has a nearly magnetic attraction for all things cornered.
We’ve made our fair share of Costco runs this week as we try to stock up on essentials for the new house, while also prepping for school lunches, playdates and just life.
Don’t forget to swing by Costco Wholesale or Costco.com to save $6 on the new Huggies Little Snugglers Plus Diapers or new Huggies Little Movers Plus Diapers. This offer is valid now through September 27. See your Costco Savings Book for details.Published September 17, 2015. Last updated June 27, 2018.