Make a Schultüte for Your Child’s First School Year
There are many ways to get your kids excited and ready for the new school year. As my oldest is going into First Grade this year (I can’t believe he’s already in 1st grade), I thought it would be fun to make him a Schultute. A Schultüte, or school cone, is a German tradition where parents give their child going into their first year of school one of these giant cones filled with school supplies and treats. So as my son is going into his “first” year of school, I’ve made him this giant Schultüte, Star Wars of course, can you tell he likes Star Wars?!
Supplies for making a Schultüte:
- poster board or large cardstock paper
- glue stick
- heavy tape, I used packing tape
- Decorations: I used a Star Wars poster to cover the poster board, but it could be decorated with paint, crayons, paper, stickers, whatever you think your child might like.
- tissue paper
How to make a Schultüte:
1) First, you’ll want to cut the poster board into the shape of a large triangle. I also cut my Star Wars poster the same size too.
2) Then I attached my Star Wars poster to the white poster using a glue stick.
3) You’re ready to roll it up to form the cone. Then using the packing tape, seal the edges together. I used regular scotch tape to hold the cone closed until I used the heavy tape to seal it all together.
4) With your glue stick, put some glue all around the outside of the cone, about one inch from the top.
5) Then holding the cone straight between your legs, attach the folded in half tissue paper to the outside of the cone. The first tissue paper didn’t make it all the way around, so I used two sheets of tissue paper.
6) Fill the Schultüte with your goodies for your child. I put in colored pencils, a notebook, his favorite candy M&Ms, and a few other things that he might need for school.
7) Then tie the tissue up with ribbon to seal it off and keep the contents hidden!
Now it’s ready to give to my son on his first day of school!
If you’re not the crafty kind or *cough* can’t fit *cough* this project into your schedule, you can find unfilled Schultütes for sale at our affiliate, Amazon.