Prev Next

Focus on My Wishlist

By Isabel Kallman

by Tracey Clark of Mother May I
LensBaby.jpgRecently I read that 23 percent of women give their husbands Wish Lists for gentle guidance in the gift giving process. That leaves 77 percent that just hope for the best. I have always been a member of the latter. But this year, I’m committed to joining the ranks of other side where wives and mothers exclaim, “We’re worthy of the gifts we really want!” It’s got a nice ring to it, doesn’t it?
Although I’ve always taken pride in my low maintence persona, I realize now, I haven’t done myself any favors. I may be able to camp for days on end with no shower, shop the annual sales, and call a few pints at the pub date night and enjoy it, but what about when I’d like something more? Truth is I’ve fallen into a bad habit of not asking for what I really want.
My resolution this year (albeit a tad early) is to make a better attempt at communicating to my husband exactly that. It seems to me a Wish List is a perfect way to start. No, I haven’t actually written one (yet) but when I do, the first thing on it will be a brand new baby. I don’t think that’s too lavish a request. It’s not like I’m asking for something from Tiffany’s (I’m saving that for next year).
Besides, the baby I want only costs $150. And it won’t cry. Ever. The baby I want is a Lensbaby. It all makes perfect sense really if you know I’m a photographer. This photo toy– with the cutest name in the industry– is actually a lens that works on any standard SLR camera. What a Lensbaby does is help the user create ethereal, dreamy photographs while keeping one curiously sharp focal point and manages to transform even the most mundane subjects into works of art. Just navigating around the Lensbabies website makes me drool (I’m sorry if that’s weird but I AM a photographer) by offering the how-to’s as well as galleries with great examples of what these babies are capable of.
The most recent version of this ‘all the rage’ photo gadget (the 3G) resembles a small torture device but offers the most creative control of the three options and at about $350, it’s very competitively priced. However, I think the midrange model (the 2.0) would suit me just fine. It’s a little more compact and would fit just right in my stocking, in fact! And after all, it’s a little less extravagant at close to half the price of the 3G. OK, I’ve really got to work on this low maintenance thing.
If you’re intrigued, I encourage you to awaken your inner photographer and check it out. It may even inspire you to write your own Wish List this year. Or, if that’s not your style, you can give one to your photo-buff husband (guys love tech toys) and then at least you’ve got one to “borrow.” No matter how hard you try, you’ll never find a more affordable or more agreeable baby.
My only challenge now is how to find a way to get my husband my Wish List…unless someone wants to help me out and forward him this link. Just a thought.
For more information visit Lensbabies.
Tracey Clark is freelance writer, photographer and author of beautiful pregnancy and baby journals found at Maypapers. You can read more by Tracey Clark at her weblogs Mother May I and Picture This.

Isabel Kallman
About the Author

Isabel Kallman

Isabel Kallman is the founding mom of

Feel free to send nice emails to isabel[at]alphamom[dot]com.


Isabel Kallman is the founding mom of

Feel free to send nice emails to isabel[at]alphamom[dot]com.

icon icon
chat bubble icon


Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.