Classic Potato Salad
- Serves: 10 servings
- 4 pounds waxy potatoes (red, new, and fingerling all fall into this category)
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard (this is a powdered spice)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika, plus more for sprinkling over the serving bowl for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 celery rib, chopped fine (optional)
- 1/4 cup sweet or red onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup mayonnaise (alternative: or you can do a split of mayonnaise and plain greek yogurt, either 1/2 cup each or 1/3 cup mayonnaise and 2/3 cup plain greek yogurt)
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 4 tablespoons sweet pickle relish (optional)
- Chop potatoes into evenly-sized cubes, about 1" square (no need to peel the potatoes, unless you do not want peels in your potato salad - we think the peels are nutritious and delicious and leave them on!). If you buy very small potatoes, you can skip chopping them as long as all the potatoes are the same size.
- Place potatoes in a large pot and add cold water, covering the potatoes so there is about 1 inch of water above them. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, add 2 tablespoons salt to water then reduce heat to medium and lightly boil 5-10 more minutes, until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork but not falling apart.
- Place a colander in the kitchen sink and then carefully pour the potatoes and water into the colander to drain the potatoes.
- Put potatoes in a large mixing bowl and then pour the vinegar over the potatoes. Using a rubber spatula, stir carefully to evenly distribute the vinegar. Let potatoes stand about 20 minutes to cool down.
- While potatoes are resting, in a small or medium sized bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, yogurt (if using), onion, celery (if using), yellow mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, paprika, dry mustard and relish (if using). Stir until well mixed.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture and the chopped eggs to the large bowl with the potatoes. Using a rubber spatula, gently stir everything together until evenly mixed. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 1 hour before serving.
- Transfer potato salad to a serving bowl and sprinkle the with paprika. Enjoy!