Strawberry Watermelon Popsicles DIY
You know what is great about summer? Making your own popsicles! One of my favorite things to do with little ones is to teach them the joy of making popsicles.
Popsicles can be made from pretty much anything and summer offers an abundance of fresh ripe fruit just waiting to be frozen into delightful treats. Here’s a popsicle recipe that uses watermelon, strawberries, and a few grapes that is healthy, refreshing, and really fun for little kids to get their hands into when they are learning to make it them themselves.
If you can make a smoothie, you can make a popsicle.
Ingredients and supplies needed to make Strawberry Watermelon Popsicles:
- fresh fruit
- paper cups
- popsicle sticks
- a freezer
How to make Strawberry Watermelon Popsicles:
1. Cut up half a watermelon, add a pound of strawberries, and add about 9-10 grapes for extra sweetness. Save several strawberries for garnishment later. The ratio of what fruit you add can be up to you. Fruit, especially watermelon, has so much water content already you hardly need to add any kind of liquid to your mix. But you can certainly mix it up by adding juice or even yogurt. That’s really the fun of it: creating your own concoctions!
2. To make the popsicles, we add some sliced strawberries into the paper cups. About a small handful in each.
3. Put the blended mixture in a smaller cup so it is easier for kids to pour. Then, pour the watermelon strawberry mixture into the cups, leaving about an inch from the top.
4. Then pop them in the freezer for an hour.
6. When the popsicle cups are completely frozen, take them out and peel off the paper cup. If the cup is a bit stubborn coming off, just let it start to melt for a minute, and then it will slip right out easily.
Then take outside and enjoy!
If you are worried about dripping you can always cut a hole in the center of a paper plate and insert your popsicle stick. Or you can just be like us and embrace the drips.
It’s a summertime memory!’