How to Make a Breakfast Burrito (Recipes Kids Should Know Before Leaving Home)
Breakfast burritos are the best! As long as you have a flour tortilla and an egg, you have breakfast. (Or lunch or dinner.) Breakfast burritos are great because you really can use whatever ingredients you have on hand, and they are quick and easy to throw together. That’s why it’s a recipe we think kids should know before leaving home.
Pro-tip to making Breakfast Burritos:
We like to heat the tortilla before creating the burrito as it creates better texture and makes the tortilla a bit more flexible for wrapping into a burrito shape. The egg and tortilla both cook quickly, so it’s good to have all your ingredients lined up and ready to go before you start cooking.Print
Breakfast Burrito Recipe
Teach your kids how to make this Breakfast Burrito recipe before they leave home.
- 1 medium flour tortilla (8 – 9 inches in diameter)
- 1 egg (if you are not doing any add-on ingredients, you may want to do 2 eggs instead of 1)
- Salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Optional add-ons:
- Chopped breakfast sausage, ham, or bacon (heated)
- Avocado slices or guacamole
- Shredded cheese
- Breakfast potatoes or hashbrowns
1. Crack an egg into a small bowl. Add two pinches salt and whisk the egg well. Set aside.
2. Assemble any add-ons that you want to include in the burrito and have them set aside and ready to go.
3. Heat a medium-size frying pan over medium-high heat (on a dial from 1-10, set to 7 or 8). On a separate burner but at the same time, heat a small frying pan over medium heat on the stove (on a dial from 1-10, set to 5). Let the two pans heat for 3-5 minutes.
4. Place the flour tortilla in the medium-size pan and heat for about 30-60 seconds, then flip and heat the tortilla on the second side for 30-60 seconds. Tortilla should be hot and starting to brown a bit in spots. Remove the tortilla from the pan and place on plate. Turn off the burner for the medium-size pan.
5. Add butter to small frying pan and spread the butter around with a spatula. Pour the egg into the pan and tip the pan to spread the egg around. You can push the edges of the egg in towards the center of the pan and then tip the pan to have the liquid egg spread back out to the edge of the pan. Flip the egg to finish cooking completely then slide it onto the flour tortilla on the plate. The egg does not need to be pretty, it can get scrambled and flipped, no biggie! Turn off the stove burner for the small frying pan. The egg will cook very quickly, probably 30-45 seconds total.
6. Place the add-on ingredients on top of the egg (if using), sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, then wrap the tortilla like a burrito.
7. Enjoy immediately!