Teach kids how to make an egg-in-a-hole for breakfast.
1. Cut out a 2- to 3-inch hole from the center of the bread, using a glass or biscuit/cookie cutter. Set circle of bread aside for later for toasting.
2. Heat a medium-sized frying pan on the stove over medium heat (on a dial with a scale of 1-10, set to 5). Let the pan heat for about 5 minutes.
3. Add a big pat of butter (about 1 tablespoon or a little less, it doesn’t have to be precise) to the heated pan. Spread butter around until melted.
4. Add the slice of bread to the pan and let it cook on the first side for 3 minutes.
5. Flip the bread, then crack the egg directly into the hole of the bread in the pan. Cook for 2 minutes.
6. Flip the egg and bread over and cook for 1.5 minutes.
7. Flip one more time and cook for 30 more seconds.
8. Slide your egg-in-a-hole onto a plate.
9. Add your little cut out circle of bread onto the frying pan and toast on both sides until browned, a couple of minutes total.
10. Eat alongside the egg-in-a-hole with jam or cinnamon sugar, or just throw it on top of your egg in a hole.