Product Frequently Asked Questions
How do I find the product I’m looking for?
If you would like to find out what parents think about a product or share an opinion, first find out whether it has been reviewed by others. There are several ways you can do this:
- Enter the name in the search bar (above in the upper left-hand corner)
- Check the category under which you think that product may be (i.e., you will find “gates” under the “Safety” section)
- Search using tags by clicking “Tags” and look for descriptors like product types and brand names (e.g., “travel stroller”, “gate”, “fisher-price”). You can find “Tags” on the navigation bar above. Other visitors have added products and “tagged” them with keywords. This may be a faster and easier way to find your product. View: What’s a Tag?
What’s the difference between a “Review”, “Rating” and “Comment”?
- Review: Once a product is included into the system, you have the ability to “review” it. Thereafter all subsequent reviewers add “ratings” and “comments.”
- Rating: where you measure a product with the star system. You can do this for products that are already listed as well as new products that you add to the system. You can rate a product by giving one through five stars (with five being the highest rating).
- Comment: you add a comment to a review that has already been written by another visitor.
What if I can’t find the product I’m looking for?
Did you check “How do I find the product I’m looking for?”
Ok, if it’s still not there, then it hasn’t yet been reviewed. Why don’t you review it?
How do I add a new product?
If you can’t find the product you’re looking for, don’t despair. Just add it to our system. Click on “Add a New Product”. Then, provide us with a description, price, product picture, tags, rating and review.
- Name: include the product’s name as well as the manufacturer
- Description: please stick to the facts about what the product is about (weight, features and functionality).
- Price: the suggested retail price.
- Category: Select the best (of those provided) in which it should be.
- Picture: include a product picture. You need to save the picture to your computer first, before it’s downloaded onto the system.
- URL: This is the website address where you found the product you are adding. Copy and paste the URL here. Try to keep it to just the base URL for the company who offers the product, e.g. http://babyuniverse.com.
- Tags: please be as specific as possible. Example: if it’s a Maclaren stroller, you would include “stroller”, “Maclaren”, “lightweight stroller”, “single stroller”. The more specific you are the easier it will be for your fellow parents to find the product for which they are searching.
Do I need to be registered in order to view products?
Nope. You can look all you want.
Where do I register/ login?
Go to the blue bar across the top of your screen. On the upper-right hand corner of the bar it reads “Sign In”. Click on it. Alpha Mom uses the Ning service to power our Product Ratings System. If you have a Ning ID from another site, you can use it at Alpha Mom as well. If you don’t have a Ning ID, then click on “Click here to sign up!” Or you can sign up any time by clicking the “Sign Up” link in the upper right hand portion of the screen.
What if I would like to review a product, but it’s already been reviewed?
You can still join in the fun by sharing your own opinion. Click on the “Add a Rating” link next to the product review. You can rate a product by giving one through five stars (with five being the highest rating). Add your comments in the provided box.
What is a Tag?
A “tag” is a (relevant) keyword or descriptive term associated with or assigned to a piece of information, thus describing the item and enabling keyword-based classification of information it is applied to. Read more about Tags on Wikipedia.